Friday, March 20, 2009

Meet the New Gaffe

The Anchoress calls it "not pretty." I'd say it appears to have been full-on ugly:
Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he’s gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” Leno said sarcastically.

It’s “like the Special Olympics or something,” the president said.

When asked about the remark, the White House had no comment.
Beyond the inappropriate Special Olympics joke (which is absolutely something my friends and I would say to each other, so I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass), it's hard for me to feel comfortable knowing that he's taking time out to work on his bowling.

It makes me wonder what someone like the author of the following, about W, would say:
It is an awful movie, and as it drags on I feel increasingly uneasy. Surely the president should be doing something else. Occasionally he gets a phone call from Andy Card, his chief of staff, who, as I understand it, is in the West Wing meeting with the head of the F.A.A. to determine when Washington’s Reagan National Airport will be safe to completely re-open (some flights began operating earlier in the week). Each time the phone rings, I hope the president will excuse himself to join them. But he doesn’t. Over the phone, the president tells the men to “get that airport opened up!” and then heads to bed.
I also very much want to see this video, and can't imagine a situation in which the press would have locked down such a video for W.

My point is not that Obama shouldn't be bowling. Nor that he should be castigated for making a fairly innocuous off-color comment on Leno, that I could very easily have made myself. My point is, simply, that there is a clear double-standard in the way people regard the O from the way they regard the W.

And that we need to prepare ourselves for the fact that we're going to see far more gaffes of this nature in the future. Let's just hope (contrary to my current impression) that he's a little better with the actual governing than W was portrayed.

Mark Steyn has a brief take on another Obama Administration gaffe from a few weeks back:
But don't forget, folks: Somewhere in Texas a village has been reunited with its idiot, and we now have the whip-smartest administration of David Brooks' lifetime.
Pretty witty. Also pretty disturbing.

No comments: