Thursday, February 26, 2009

Well Put, Mostly

Read it.

I'll wait.

Read? Okay, good.

So I've read most of the philosophers Brooks mentions. But I'm a libertarian more than a conservative. Brooks paints the question as if there are two options, but sees both as ultimately led by some sort of collective. Change will come, the question to him, I think rightly, is how that should come.

Brooks is afraid of change led from the top by an individual or a small group who have some utopian view of the future. So am I. But I am equally afraid of a group of people who oppose change, or seek a different kind of change, because their group thinks differently. Both are basically arguments that someone knows what's best for me better than I do myself. That I need someone looking out for my own interests. I simply do not accept that premise.

You might be inclined to say that this is a kind of arrogance, that I simply don't like the liberal or conservative ideals because I think that I know better than they do. You might think that if I had the reins of power I'd simply impose my own world view instead of theirs.

And you'd have a point. This is what the Republican Party has done over the last 15 years as they moved away from advocacy of small government when they found themselves in power. And it was wrong.

The difference is that my world view is one that attempts to let everyone live out his own. I have faith in the intelligence of people to see something that works and apply it to themselves—without some mandate from on high that this is the way things should proceed.

Change comes in its own time, no matter who is trying to push it forward or to restrain it. It always have and it always will.

No comments: