Thursday, January 22, 2009

FEWER!!!

So I was watching TV and what should appear but an advertisement for low calorie Ocean Spray beverages. Why am I blogging about this? Because the ad caught my ear. So I went to the website to figure out if I heard it right. Sure enough:
2/3 less calories and sugar. Delicious real fruit juice.
What's the problem?

It should say 2/3 FEWER calories. Fewer is used for quantifiable amounts, less is used for unquantifiable amounts. Fewer calories, less fat.

Fewer brain cells, less grammatical ability.

But seriously, this kind of thing is written by a professional. Someone got paid to write the copy, and it has been endlessly scrutinized. How can they get something like this wrong?

UPDATE: Looking at the blockquote above again, I also realized there should be a comma between "delicious" and "real." DAMNIT!

No comments: