Monday, December 8, 2008

Parsing! Yay!


Okay, let's parse the President-elect's words:
I believe in common-sense gun safety laws,
"Common-sense" is not an objective term. I think it's common sense that "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means, you know, that the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. At all. So common-sense is up for debate if you believe in gun control at all.

Interesting, however, that Mr. Obama chose the words "gun safety" rather than gun control. I'm curious to see what that means.
and I believe in the second amendment.
Well, it's real, so I hope you believe in it. I mean, it's a document, not the Easter Bunny. (Also, someone should tell the author of the article that "Second Amendment" should be capitalized.)
Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear.
"Lawful" is not a static term. Gun owners have learned in the past that gun regulation is subject to change.

Perhaps more importantly, this is precisely the reason that people are stocking up now. No federal gun legislation has ever sought to confiscate guns that had been legally bought under the legal scheme. So it's safe to assume that the next one wouldn't either. And all those people legally buying guns now will get to keep them. They'll have nothing to fear.

Of course, I see in his words no guarantee for those who might wish to become gun owners in the future. Do they have nothing to fear as well? Or did Obama choose his words just a little too carefully?
I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word.
I'm happy to take you at your word, Mr. President-elect. However, those words are a bit ambiguous.

Would you care to clarify them for me?

Oh, and while you're at it, please let me know what you think of this. Thanks!

No comments: